I had Lasik on Friday (I CAN SEE WITHOUT CONTACTS AND ITS BLOWING MY MIND) and they were going over my medical chart that you have to fill out at pretty much every dr’s office when something kind of embarrassing happened. The nurse asked What are your hobbies? Now, my contacts were out and glasses were off so I couldn’t see, nor can one really see one’s own face, but I’m pretty sure my face looked like a deer in the headlights.
I said ummmm reading… and then gave her a shrug and nervouscreepyhighly embarrassed awkward laugh. Then I felt the need to explain to this woman who I don’t know and will probably never see again that I’ve just finished law school and am currently studying for the bar exam and for the past three years I haven’t really had time for hobbies…
Which I then just felt like an idiot. (like that time I realized I wouldn’t have an alibi for most nights) I mean how do you not have time for hobbies?! I was proud of myself for not saying wine, napping, snuggling with winston, or getting pedicures. Pat on the back for that!
But I am a tad ashamed that I couldn’t come up with more hobbies. Not because I want people to think I am super cool or incredibly outgoing (although of course I am duh) it’s because I’m disappointed in myself.
So what other hobbies should I plan on starting? Let’s make a list because that’s the only way I get things done apparently…
1. Rec Sports Leagues: softball or volleyball
2. Cooking: go to some cooking classes to expand my repertoire
3. Painting: but let’s go beyond paint by numbers. I’d like to actually paint in a field or on a hillside or something
4. Gardening: but what can I grow in Texas? The heat would kill everything right?
Reading: I’m waiting for the new Maggie Hope Book: The Prime Minister’s Secret Agent to come out next Tuesday! I plan on reading it in one day so I can get back to studying.
Listening to: Push it by Salt-N-Peppa. I’ve had oldies from the 80s and 90s on for the past two weeks and been dancing around my apartment.
Thankful for: Getting Lasik TODAY! Yep, at noon I will be getting my eyesight corrected! Who wants to see how many pieces I can break my glasses in to?
Thinking about: How the Bar is 31 days away. Can you say terrifying? Seriously, I just had a freak out.
Eating: Fruit! Fresh, dried, frozen (grapes), in a smoothie, it’s been a bunch of fruit!
Watching: Rizzoli & Isles because thank goodness it’s back!
Loving: My mom. She’s babysitting Winston and Poppy for the whole month of July so I can buckle down and study for the BAR. She’s a trooper and Winston loves running around the backyard with her and snuggling with her at night. Yeah, he sleeps in her bed! I still can’t believe it!
Looking forward to: 1. Being able to see first thing when I wake in the morning now! 2. July 4th weekend. I’m basically studying all weekend but at least I’m taking the 4th off to lie by the pool!
I need you to imagine two things for me, 1) 80’s spandex and huge teased hair 2) me asking you these questions in a female Richard Simmons voice:
Are you moving it? Are you losing it?
Hahaha! I’m sure that was way cooler in my imagination than it was on your computer screen. Anyway, I was planning on discussing boxing classes with yall this week but because of this whole Lasik thing I haven’t been able to wear contacts for a week and a half and I’ve been keeping workouts to things where I don’t need to be able to see an instructor, like yoga or running on a treadmill. I mean if I had gone to a boxing class I might have accidentally punched the person next to me instead of the bag… not cool.
I was at a loss to what I was going to talk to yall about and then Tuesday I was getting into my car at Target when a car pulled in right beside me. After I loaded my stuff in my car and buckled myself in (safety first) I realized they were pulling out of their space… and pulling into a spot THREE SPACES CLOSER. I mean excuse me? You could have walked those three spaces faster than doing that.
Now, I immediately thought Katherine you don’t know their life maybe one of them has a broken leg… NOPE. No casts/braces/crutches/visible impairments and you better believe I was looking. Seriously! I mean how lazy can you get?!?
So I started thinking what are little ways that I am being lazy during the day that I can change?
A few months ago I bought a Fitbit which among other things counts the number of steps I walk in a day. My goal is 10,000. If I don’t go to the gym I won’t hit that goal. I wanted to come up with some ways to juice my stats. Just kidding. Does that phrase even fit here? Is it juice or juke? Whatever.
There are some obvious things that everybody tells you: park farther away at the grocery store/work so you walk farther, do calf raises/squats while brushing your teeth, pull a Mrs. Doubfire and dance while you clean, add cinnamon to your coffee, or take the stairs. (That’s quite a few right?)
Well I’ve heard those things and I’m sure you did too! So I made it my mission to find a few more ideas to lose some calories during the day. Here’s my list:
1. Drink ice cold water. Apparently your body burns calories when it has to warm the water up to body temperature and you’re supposed to drink lots of water anyway! So drinking half your body weight in water (example if you weight 100lbs then you drink 50oz of water) and making sure it’s freezing cold is going to help you burn some cals.
2. Stand up instead of sitting down. I took my computer and books to my kitchen bar and studied there. So I stood instead of sat for three hours. You can do this at work. Some jobs are putting in desks that raise up and lower, how cool!
3. Walk farther with Winston. Winston and I usually have a route we take when going outside for his business. So I decided to go a littler further each time. It not only added to my step total but it made Winston happier!
4. Get off your booty and do crunches, squats, push-ups, etc during commercials! I actually did this during the Bachelorette and Rizzoli & Isles and an episode of Leverage and dang I didn’t feel guilty about watching those shows!
5. Bike to the grocery store. Yeah I did this and brought my backpack so I could bike home with produce. I felt weird… but hey that zucchini and squash tasted really good afterwards!
So I guess it’s true what they say, it’s the little things that make the biggest difference!
What little things do you do?
Since I started with Richard Simmons, let’s end it with Richard Simmons!
Oh heyyyyyyyyyyyyone day before Thirsty Thursday! This was a very fun and delicious post to make and write while drinking my concoctions. I might or might not have had to make two batches, just to, you know, make sure I had my recipes right… did you buy that?
Here’s what you need:
– 3 cups water
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 TBSP lemon zest
– Juice from 2 large lemons
– 2 pkgs strawberries, cleaned, hulled, halved
– 1 cup vodka (or your preferred libation)
– 1 lemon and few strawberries for garnish
Here’s what you do:
– Add 2 cups water and the sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain into pitcher.
– In blender puree the strawbs. Strain (or not, I did both and loved both) and add to pitcher. Stir, add the last 1 cup water and vodka. Stir. Refrigerate.
-For some garnish add sliced lemons and strawberries. (You can also freeze the strawberries to use as ice!)
// coffee on a rainy day at kerby lane // mom and I at the wedding of a childhood friend //
kayaking with Winston on White Rock Lake // smoothie ingredients // Texas bar study book //
my little sister and Winston // view of Lake Travis from Steiner Ranch Steakhouse //
Sonic drinks in summer is a staple // my basil plant //
my dad and his “beer” cake // Winston had enough when we were playing in 98 degrees // the famous tea at mcallisters // spiked strawberry lemonade recipe coming soon // great haul from homegoods // good read