I need you to imagine two things for me, 1) 80’s spandex and huge teased hair 2) me asking you these questions in a female Richard Simmons voice:
Are you moving it? Are you losing it?
Hahaha! I’m sure that was way cooler in my imagination than it was on your computer screen. Anyway, I was planning on discussing boxing classes with yall this week but because of this whole Lasik thing I haven’t been able to wear contacts for a week and a half and I’ve been keeping workouts to things where I don’t need to be able to see an instructor, like yoga or running on a treadmill. I mean if I had gone to a boxing class I might have accidentally punched the person next to me instead of the bag… not cool.
I was at a loss to what I was going to talk to yall about and then Tuesday I was getting into my car at Target when a car pulled in right beside me. After I loaded my stuff in my car and buckled myself in (safety first) I realized they were pulling out of their space… and pulling into a spot THREE SPACES CLOSER. I mean excuse me? You could have walked those three spaces faster than doing that.
Now, I immediately thought Katherine you don’t know their life maybe one of them has a broken leg… NOPE. No casts/braces/crutches/visible impairments and you better believe I was looking. Seriously! I mean how lazy can you get?!?
So I started thinking what are little ways that I am being lazy during the day that I can change?
A few months ago I bought a Fitbit which among other things counts the number of steps I walk in a day. My goal is 10,000. If I don’t go to the gym I won’t hit that goal. I wanted to come up with some ways to juice my stats. Just kidding. Does that phrase even fit here? Is it juice or juke? Whatever.
There are some obvious things that everybody tells you: park farther away at the grocery store/work so you walk farther, do calf raises/squats while brushing your teeth, pull a Mrs. Doubfire and dance while you clean, add cinnamon to your coffee, or take the stairs. (That’s quite a few right?)
Well I’ve heard those things and I’m sure you did too! So I made it my mission to find a few more ideas to lose some calories during the day. Here’s my list:
1. Drink ice cold water. Apparently your body burns calories when it has to warm the water up to body temperature and you’re supposed to drink lots of water anyway! So drinking half your body weight in water (example if you weight 100lbs then you drink 50oz of water) and making sure it’s freezing cold is going to help you burn some cals.
2. Stand up instead of sitting down. I took my computer and books to my kitchen bar and studied there. So I stood instead of sat for three hours. You can do this at work. Some jobs are putting in desks that raise up and lower, how cool!
3. Walk farther with Winston. Winston and I usually have a route we take when going outside for his business. So I decided to go a littler further each time. It not only added to my step total but it made Winston happier!
4. Get off your booty and do crunches, squats, push-ups, etc during commercials! I actually did this during the Bachelorette and Rizzoli & Isles and an episode of Leverage and dang I didn’t feel guilty about watching those shows!
5. Bike to the grocery store. Yeah I did this and brought my backpack so I could bike home with produce. I felt weird… but hey that zucchini and squash tasted really good afterwards!
So I guess it’s true what they say, it’s the little things that make the biggest difference!
What little things do you do?
Since I started with Richard Simmons, let’s end it with Richard Simmons!